Friday, September 21, 2007

Shoes will be the end of me

Two days ago I was headed down to the park with the kids. I was already running late (and it takes 25 minutes to get there), but then had the brilliant idea that since the weather is getting colder, I can pull out the new fall shoes I bought for the kids. So I got them, cut off the tags, got socks for everyone and proceeded to get everyone out the door. Well, I can tell you that the two most stressful times in my day are 1) Getting the kids bathed and dressed and 2) Getting the kids out the door. Car seats are bad enough, but having to actually put shoes and socks on five kids was just too much for me. It literally took me 15 minutes to get them on. When you're already running late, and extra few minutes is fine, but 15 is just not acceptable.

So what's the solution? Granted, two of the kids' shoes have to be tied, but the others just slip on. I guess I could have been more picky on the selection I chose, but I actually had it in the back of my mind that I would pick the easiest ones out there. I was deceived. The little pink camo. high tops that I bought for Paige looked easy, but are the worst. It has ties on it, but it also has zip ups on the sides. I wrongly assumed that once you tie them, you'll never have to re-tie them again. You can just zip them up. No, no. In order to get them over her foot, I have to untie them each time and start all over again.

By the time we got out the door, I was all sweaty, my freshly applied make-up was not so fresh anymore, and ended up at the park too late...to find no one there. We turned around and came home!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My girls wear flip flops all year long, except in really cold weather. Plus, we keep shoes right at the front door so we can easily grab them on the way out. I am a HUGE fan of slip ons! I also keep extra shoes in my car as a time saver.

Dani & Rachel learned how to tie their shoes at 5 & 4 (Rachel probably could have done it earlier, I just didn't think to teach her that young). Maybe Max & Meredith could put their shoes on by themselves, which would leave you with only 3 sets of feet to concern yourself with getting into shoes. Make it a fun project. :-)

Or, install a conveyer belt in your house, add children, shoes, & voila! Kidding! Have you ever seen the movie, "Cheaper By The Dozen?" It's really cute, both the original & the remake.

Anonymous said...

Update your blog! I need more fun things to read about. I love what you put up here--it's great! Hope all is well with you. xoxo