Saturday, September 1, 2007

East to west...and back again

Scott took me from the east cost and brought me out here to Oregon. I have really loved my time here, and have grown so much (both individually and as a wife). It has been a wonderful experience for me. But, the time has come, and Scott and I both feel it is best for us to move back east. We are excited about this idea, and it's been so wonderful to see God continuing to open doors in such surprising ways.

The one thing I hate about my life is that no matter where I go now, I am going to have to say goodbye to some awesome people. I have had to do this with my family for 8 years now, and each time rips my heart out. I hate goodbyes more than anything, and I find it ironic that I've had to be the one to go through it so much in my adult life. It's like the Wizard of Oz. My family watched that movie faithfully every year when it would come on TV. Was I scared of the flying monkeys or the witch? No! That stinking movie made me cry every time when Dorothy had to say goodbye to her friends in order get back to Kansas. I hated it then and I hate it now. So I am trying not to let myself think about the friends I have here in Oregon who I will have to say goodbye to. Of course, as I told Heather and Emily, I am NOT saying goodbye. I don't believe in that! I will slip out quietly and when I am in my new house, I will email everyone and let them now I arrived safely. There is no easy way to do it except that! Call me a coward, but honestly, who likes to sit and make it a big sad deal where you have to hug everyone and each of you tells the other that you love them...we already know this! So when I'm gone, you can write me an email or send me a card (with money in it please) and let me know how special I was to you! :)

Overall, I am thrilled to move! The thought of living close to my family again, now that we are all in the same stage of life, almost makes me want to jump out of my skin with excitement! I can't wait for my nieces and nephews to know their Aunt Amy better and to get some really good qualitiy time in with them. It's been too long already. I feel like I don't even know some of them...and some of my family haven't even met my little Riley yet. That's too bad (especially now that he's so close to walking- he took 6 steps on Friday!).

The one dream I have so far is spending a day every week over at Dedad's (my grandfather's) house. I can't wait to get back on my hands and knees and clean his kitchen floor like I used to do growing up. It's one of my favorite things in life (cleaning his floor, not my own!). I am so sad that my kids don't really know him and I am so anxious for them to spend time with him and watch him play his harmonica, or sing little ditties to them, or whatever else. I wish they could know him like I've known him. But, those weekly visits will be a start.

So, even though it will not be easy to leave my family and friends here in the west, the east is calling. I will take it as a gift from God and enjoy being with my family and friends back there again. What a blessing!

3 comments:

heather said...

As much as I will deeply, deeply miss you, (I have told you this before, yet for some reason, I feel the need to share it again here) but, how can I be overly sad when I can see so much good for you and for your family in a move, if that is where God does lead you. When you love someone, you want what is best for them and I can see how good this move could be, for you, for your husband, for your kids, for your own brothers and sisters and the rest of your fam.

Unknown said...

When you e-mailed me and told me that you and Scott had agreed on a plan to move to Maryland (in the fall!!!) i was very shocked!! to say the least. All my friends with kids are moving to Maryland. what's the deal? (at least I know Jennifer is coming back even if I have to drag her back by her hair!!) I will definetly miss our playdates! I know Shaylah really enjoys playing with your kids. And we have been to McDonald's a few times lately and both my girls have been playing very well on the play structure. so we definetly have to go play at least one more time before you leave!! Got it!!?? I know God will continue to bless you even in the stress of moving cross-country because that is where He has called you to be. But you better remember to write. I know there is still so much that I have not had the chance to get to know about you!

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited that you are moving back to Maryland! It will be nice to see you more than once every 5 years. :-) We welcome you back with wide open arms! I am so happy, I could sing! Let me know what you need help with once you are on your way. Can't wait to see you! xoxo