Saturday, September 15, 2007

Marketing Stinks!

I have been meaning to write about this in my blog now for a while, but I am just now getting around to it...A few weeks ago, Scott invited Mark and Heather and their family over to watch the Beaver football game. As tempting as it was for Heather and me to sit and watch the whole thing with the guys, we decided to opt out and take a walk through Target. Fun, Fun!

The first thing we stopped to look at was deodorant. I wasn't planning to go to that aisle necessarily, but I was so glad we did! I remembered once I saw the display that I had been thinking earlier that I should look into a different type to use. I will admit, as much as this will gross many of you out, that Scott and I have been sharing (his) deodorant our entire married life, I think. It's the gel kind that winds up, so it's really not gross to me. But anyway, I always figured I'd use men's because naturally it would be the strongest...right???

I mentioned to Heather that what I've been using has been ok, but by the end of the day I don't feel quite as fresh as I think I should feel...especially after using a men's strength deodorant. We started investigating and looking at all the different brands. She finally came across one that she had heard about...with some sort of medicated power. It cost $7.94, but I picked it up and figured it was worth a shot. Really, what's more important? Money or freshness?

Then all of a sudden it hit me. When I am looking at medicine, (creams, ointments, etc.) I always compare labels. Usually the store brand has the same amount of the active ingredient, but costs less because it has the Target symbol on it and the packaging doesn't quite look as nice. So I figured I'd start reading labels on the deodorant to see what I found.

I started with the medicated stuff and it had 20% of the active ingredient. I looked at the men's stuff I had been using. It was at a 16%. Secret, and some other women's brands, had about a 17%. One of the highest ones I saw was 19%. I was ready to pick that one up and take it home with me when I saw the $.94 Suave brand. What did I find? To my amazement, that is the only other one with 20% of the active ingredient! Unbelievable! I almost spent $7.00 more for the same exact stuff...because of marketing! So, I smelled Suave's options and landed on the one that is sort of a coconut or shea nut type smell. It's good. And, more importantly, it WORKS! Not only do I act like a nut by the end of the day, I smell like one too! :)

So, I urge you to do the research for yourself and you will be amazed. Hope this helps!!!

No comments: