Tuesday, September 4, 2007

My Paige Girl

Last year when I started homeschooling, it was just Max and me. I loved it. He is such a smart kid. (He is much like his dad!) Although his attitude wasn't always the best and he'd find excuses to complain (like "I'm hungry, I'm tired, etc.") it was a real pleasure teaching him. He had to learn things of course, but overall, he just got it.

This year I decided to start a bit early. I have both Max and Meredith in school, Max in 1st grade and Mer in kindergarten. The first day of school rolled around (last Monday) and Meredith came bouncing into my room waking me up telling me it was time for school. She was so excited, which just made me all the more anxious to get started. I mean, what more can you ask for from your student? She isn't Max and doesn't quite catch on as much as he does so easily, but she has the most awesome attitude. That's the best!

Well, Paige has been so eager to "do school" this year too. I bought her her own school box to put her pencils, crayons, glue stick in and every day last week she made sure I helped her in school too. I had to come up with my own ideas for her, which were running low after those first five days. That's when I decided, if I am going to sit and try and teach her every day, why not use an actual curriculum? So I ordered the kindergarten books for her to use, just like Mer is doing. Today was our first day. I had no idea what I was in for. Paige had the excitement of Meredith and the brains of Max all in one- we finished 10 lessons of Math this afternoon!!! Wow- homeschooling just keeps getting better and better for me!

I always believe that when you put your efforts into doing what you believe is best for your family, (whether it be fixing a healthy meal, cleaning the bathroom, homeschooling your children, or other sometimes mundane activities) God blesses you. I have been pleasantly surprised to see how He has helped me to stay committed to certain activities that I've chosen to do for the benefit of my family! I say that because I usually don't continue doing what I am doing if I don't love it. Unfortunately, I am not that kind of person, and I often give up when I am bored with something (although I hate to admit it). So I will give God the praise for blessing me because that is what keeps me going. Looking into my children's eyes and seeing their sweet little faces definitely gets me motivated to do what is best for them. I'm thankful that I can view homeschooling as a blessing. I do enjoy my time with each of them individually, and pray that it works out for us to keep at it for years to come.

1 comment:

Jen Rouse said...

I'll have to try and apply your attitude to cleaning my bathroom and see if I get good results. I do okay with cleaning my sink and toilet, but then I always get bored or distracted and skip the shower. It's easy to do because I can just pull the curtain shut and decide no one will notice. Maybe I shouldn't be confessing this publicly--my secret will be out and all my guests will start peeking at my shower now.

Anyway, way to go with the homeschooling success!