Friday, September 12, 2008

Am I insane?

Wait- please don't answer that! First of all, be so proud- two posts in one day! That's a miracle!!!

I had a thought today on my walk. A lot of people look at me, pat me on the back and say, "You're brave!" as I walk though a store. I mean, honestly, what am I going to do? Leave the five kids at home while I go run errands? (Someday I will, but not while I can still get sent to jail for doing it! Give me about 5 years when they are old enough.) Anyway, I tend to either get irritated at those comments, or start to wonder- "Where Scott and I in our right minds for having all these children...and especially so close together?"

Well, on days like this past Monday, my answer is confirmed for me. Here's the story. The kids are part of a school, which allows me to have an "umbrella"- I report to them and then they report to the state for me, regarding my homeschooling. (The state requirements are much more strict than they are in Oregon.) It takes a lot of the pressure off, as well as provides much support that I feel I need right now. Eventually, they will be in classes once a week, have a "prom," and even a formal graduation. This school is so organized, and even at this age, they only go to classes twice a month for a couple hours, but there are lots of scheduled field trips (which also takes the pressure off me).

This past Monday was the kick-off picnic for the school. Not everyone goes to it, but I wanted to, just to see who all is involved and for my kids to have a chance to play with some kids their ages. It was a great turn-out. Again, it was organized, and planned really well. We were probably the 2nd family to show up. We were a little early. The kids took off and started right away on the playground. I just hung out with Lauren, and shortly after we got there, some of her friends showed up. I saw one girl on the swings looking very lonely. I would have bet money that she was new to the school and did not know anyone. She looked so pathetic sitting there. She was shy and didn't bother trying to make friends. I was trying to nudge Lauren to go over and introduce herself, and she did later.

But that is when it dawned on me. No, I am not insane. I was so thankful that in a new situation, my kids had nothing to fear. They were confident. I don't think any of them would have thought to be nervous that day. Why? Because they had each other. There is a great security that comes with having someone go with you. And 9.9 times out of 10 they are together in new situations- Awana, swimming lessons, VBS, church, whatever. I love that!

So, even on busy days, when I am doing all I can to just get 5 kids in a car, or calming down crying babies, or whatever, I can remind myself that it IS worth it! Not only do I have company all day long, they do too. And, as they get older, each day gets a bit easier. They can do more for themselves. My role will be changing. They will still need me, but at least soon I can sit and relax while meeting their needs...by just listening!

3 comments:

heather said...

I love this post! Yes, your kids are great friends! That is such a blessing. By the way, I still think you are brave =) in taking all your kids on the outings you go on =)

Amy said...

Thanks! Yeah, I probably am more brave than other people in every day situations, but I am thankful that they are all capable of handling themselves well in public. That isn't always the case with families these days. We have our moments, but overall they do well. Must be all the practice! :)

Anonymous said...

God gave you your children for many reasons. Remember, he has a purpose for everything! I love your kids, not to mention you! Never wonder if it was a "brave" thing to do having them close together. It was the Lord's doing, not anyone else's. xoxo