Saturday, August 2, 2008

Oregon Friends- Heather

I decided to write about my Oregon friends for those of you from Maryland who read my blog. How about that?

Let me start with Heather. Do you ever have one of those friends you just feel really connected with? It seems like you can talk and just completely understand what the other person is saying. The interesting thing about mine and Heather's relationship is that we aren't exactly alike. We have different interests in many ways. I would actually like to be more like Heather and have the priorities in life that she has. She is probably the friend I admire the most. I just think she has it all together! And, no, I am not putting her up on some kind of unreachable petastal. I just mean that she is a very balanced person and her emotions don't guide the decisions she makes for her family. I really appreciate that because it's an area I know I could stand to work on.

Heather really inspires me. She is the one who encourages me the most in my spiritual life as well. I love her because she challenges me in ways that are very non-threatening. We have some kind of awesome connection, and usually it's not about the superficial things in life. We have a deeper friendship than that.

I also think it's awesome that even though I have been away from OR for 8 months now, and both of us have taken different roads than we were leading before I left, we still really understand each other and still have some of the same struggles and frustrations. It lends itself to great conversations.

I would say that Heather is the one who I have grown up the most with in my adult life. I am so thankful that she pursued our friendship almost immediately after I moved to Oregon. She is the one who kept me sane, but also gave me a great time, all the years I lived out there. We started out just newly married, then we have enjoyed being pregnant together, and now we are both homeschooling and sharing similar experiences all along the way. I love that.

Heather, you are like a sister to me, and I love you so very much. I think it's rare to meet someone later in life (after school days) and still be able to develop a friendship that is like one you've had your whole life. I think you are great, and I miss you!

4 comments:

heather said...

I am totally crying!

Of course M just left for his two weeks away, and Jenn just sent me this you-tube video tribute to soldiers, so I am a little emotional...I have to say that I feel the same way about you!

I appreciate so much about you, from your faithfulness to your humor, to your deep desire to glorify God in your life, and to honor Scott and to be a blessing to your kids. All of that is an encouragement to me in my own life.

Thank you!

Amy said...

I'll be praying for you while Mark is away. Call anytime! My week is pretty open.

Kelly said...

Hi Amy,
That was a very sweet post you wrote about Heather! It sounds like you are glad to be back in Maryland and that your family is doing well. You can tell Scott that I may be Olive Oil but Ty definitely is NOT Popeye! Bob the Builder or Handy Manny is a better match. I do post photos of the kids once in a while, they are getting so big.
Kelly

Jen Rouse said...

Hey Amy,
I just have to say that your current blog series is a really neat idea. Also, I mentioned you on my blog today :)