Thursday, July 31, 2008

Tammy

Tammy is another one of those friends I've had for many, many years. Unlike my relationship with Melissa, though, Tammy and I did fight a lot. She and I spent so much time together, we were very much like sisters. We used to make up contracts (and have her parents sign them) that we would not fight anymore! :)

Tammy was the one in high school who I felt went through so much together with. Her parents split up and I was with her through that. And when she was dating her now husband, Keith, I was dating his best friend, Dave. That was a cool thing because the four of us spent a lot of time together at youth group and then at places like the mall and the movies (when we finally turned 16 and were old enough to date!). Those relationships lasted over two years, so it was a large chunk of our high school years.

Then, when I broke things off with Dave, mine and Tammy's relationship changed drastically. It was sad, although I didn't realize it so much at the time (because I started spending more time with Melissa at that point). Dave started dating another one of our friends and she and Tammy became close while Tammy and I drifted farther apart. It was just a normal high school thing I guess.

After high school, Tammy and I did not keep in touch. I got involved in college and with my friends there and didn't think much about her I guess. But one day I got an invitation to her bridal shower. I was shocked and really excited to go. I hadn't seen her in a couple years. So I did go and we have been in touch ever since.

Once I got married and moved to Oregon, we emailed. But now that I am back in Maryland, it is fun to see how our relationship has blossomed again. It just so happens that we live just 3.3 miles away from her and so we try and get together as much as we can. We usually get together as couples. She and Scott are both accountants, who work about a mile away from each other. Tammy's husband, Keith, works in the same parking lot as Scott does. They have two boys who get along great with my kids.

I love those friendships that, even after a few years and a lot of life changes, picks up where it left off and you are the same people you were, even in the 5th grade when you first met. Tammy is definitely one of those people. I would still say that she is the one friend who is most like a sister to me. We have tons of memories, most of which consisted of trying out new and dumb things- the things that help you to grow up. She and I definitely learned to grow up together, and I will always have a special bond with her because of that.

2 comments:

Too Much for Too Long said...

Thank you!!! I am touched that you wrote about me. Your blog brought a couple of tears to me because it is all so true. You and I have been through a lot. I am so thankful to have you as a friend and I LOVE THAT YOU ARE BACK IN MD!!! You and I will always have a special bond and I want us to stay close always. Let's make a pact that we will never let other people or locations get in the way of our friendship again (See it's just like 5th grade all over again) I love you Aim!

Amy said...

Yeah, should we make a contract and have your parents sign it? I still laugh at that. And what about that poem I wrote in your yearbook! How embarrassing! Yes, I love our friendship. These last 8 months have been great!