Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Aunt Lucy

The next friend I will write about is the one I've had the longest. Melissa and I have pictures of us on a 1st grade field trip together, as well as our high school graduation. We went to the same (Christian) school together from Kingergarten through 12th grade. We've always had a really good relationship. We did not fight much. We were more the type to laugh and giggle too much- and get in trouble in class for it (even in high school).

Because of our relationship, we would joke and call each other Lucy and Ethel (she was Lucy and I was Ethel). Well, two years ago, when we were in MD visiting, Melissa invited me out for breakfast. She was bringing her son, Kyle (who is now 3), and so I brought Paige with me. Then after we ate, we decided to go to the mall (which is something we very much have in common!). Before we left, she had to stop by her house for something. Well, all day, I had been calling her Liss, because that is what I call her. But, when she went inside, Paige asked, "What is Lucy doing?" I guess she thought I was saying Lucy, and I about died. The awesome thing is that it somehow stuck, and now all my kids actually call her Aunt Lucy! We think that is great!

Now, Melissa has two kids, Kyle and Brooke (who just turned a year the other day). Our favorite thing to do together, and probably this is ALL we do together because we love it, is to take the kids to the National Aquarium in Baltimore. I would say that out of all my friends, Liss and I are most alike. We just think the same way, and everything comes out funny, no matter what you're talking about. I often find her laughing when telling me some horrible story that is really actually sad- she says she can't help it. For some reason, I just make her laugh! :) It's mutual that way. We are still like kids when we're together and it makes our relationship so fun.

The thing I love and appreciate most about Melissa is how she teaches me to always have fun with my kids and how to really make light of things that don't need to be big issues (especially when frustrated with the kids). She is extremely nurturing and is always attentive to her childrens' needs. Then she will be creative and think of a fun way to make them happy or snap out of a mood, if necessary. I feel like when we are together, I am very much encouraged and just feel so uplifted. I never feel discouraged or insecure when I am with her. She is (like me) a words person and is quick to compliment. I just appreciate how I feel when I'm with her. It is really nice having a friend that is predictable- you know that you will have a great time, have "real" conversations with, and leave encouraged when you are together. I thank God for keeping us close- after ALL (27) these years!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aw, I love this post! I also love you! xoxo