Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Daphne

I have just a few more friends to write about. But first, I am just thinking about a conversation I had with Heather yesterday, and how we both feel so blessed to have a variety of friends. It's really a good thing if you think about it. Some people are threatened by having more than one close friend. It's like they need all the attention or something. I don't know because I am not like that. I like to have a variety so depending on the need, I know who to go to. Anyway, this next friend is one from a while back as well.

I have been on five missions trips, two of which were to Jamaica with Lancaster Bible College. The first was in '93, when I was just 16. The summer after that, I was just dying to go back. I loved the ministry there. So I re-applied and was accepted. It was on that trip that I met a girl named Daphne. She and I instantly clicked. Part of the connection was that we are the same age (and there was a variety of ages on that team). She is another one who I would consider like a sister. She and I actually are pretty different. We joke about how I always see the cup half full and she sees it half empty. She can't stand the show "Jon and Kate Plus 8" which just happens to be my favorite show. Things like that we joke about, but I actually think our differences, like mentioned with some other friends, help me to gain a better perspective on things...or life in general.

Daph and I finished that trip and both headed off to Lancaster Bible College just shortly after. Unfortunately, (so I thought at the time) we did not get to be roommates as we had hoped, but we did become great friends. She left LBC after the first year there, but we stayed close. Out of five girls I could pick as my bridesmaids, she was one of them. (Three sisters, Melissa, and her) I don't know what it is that has kept us close all these years- besides just a good foundational background as friends, and then I guess having kids at the same time, etc. I say that because she lives in PA (just near Hershey, and was the great one who sent me free tickets for my birthday this year!), so we don't get to see each other often. We do, however, email almost daily.

I love Daphne because she is real, she is organized, she is smart, and we can laugh (usually at me) over things that happened in the past. She inspires me to get more creative with homeschooling (which she is excellent at), and how to get outside of my box of routine things that I always do with my kids. She is a good resource.

I think the best friendships are ones where both parties rely on each other for help. This is the case with Daphne and me. When she's down or just wishing some things were different with her family, she will ask me to pray. She probably knows I will try and make some kind of joke to cheer her up (and I do pray!). When I am disorganized and insecure about something, I ask Daph's advice on how to get things straightened out again and just keep going. We both bring out the good in each other. She brings me to reality and I encourage her to dream a little. It's fun, and I am thankful for how God brought us together, and allowed us to walk through life together for many (14 to be exact) years!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ames, you made me teary!!! Thanks so much for all you wrote. You are a wonderful friend to have and I don't know what I would do without you. I am soooo looking forward to our girls weekend in September. Thanks for being a picture of Christ to me! (Even if you do like that awful show)