Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Reisterstown Road

So today, Scott and I took Max and Meredith to the Baltimore Symphony for a field trip with our school. It turned out to be a lot of fun and just a really neat concert. They kept it short, about 45 minutes, since it was geared for kids. I thought they did an excellent job for that!

On the way back to Scott's work (in Owings Mills) we took a different route...one in which we did not know where any restaurants were, fast food even. So once we were out of the city and back on the beltway, we had two options. Go ahead to Owings Mills, or stop on Reisterstown Road. That was my suggestion. It is filled with shops and food and everything you need- or at least what we needed at the time. We figured we'd stop at McD's or Burger King...although I was hoping to see a Subway.

Scott spotted a Panera Bread and I said, "Yes- that will be great!" We pulled in to a very packed parking lot (it was kind of a strip mall) and found a spot and parked. Panera was really busy...at 1:30 in the afternoon. I wasn't too surprised. It's a popular place. Scott glanced at his watch, and just then, Meredith suggested that we go to the pizza shop next door. Scott said that was fine, and we went in....

...to this empty pizza place that did have lots of tables. I felt a little uneasy, but we decided to stay. We noticed the kids' meal, which was a good deal, so we ordered two of them. Then we were trying to decide on our own pizza. We were going to split one, and we could each pick our own toppings. I started off saying I'd like pepperoni and onion. The guy was like, "We don't served meat here." Oh, ok. I thought of the movie, "My big fat Greek wedding" when the aunt says, "He don't eat no meat!" Anyway, I was on the right track. Shortly after we ordered our veggie pizza, some men came in...all Jewish. They were wearing their little, and I will have to use the word BEANIE because I don't know how to spell YAMAKA! :) Anyway, you get the point. Then, more and more people piled in...long after the usual lunch time. I was really taken back by it all. I didn't know if the cheese was even normal on the pizza. Do they use NORMAL cheese, or is it goat's cheese? I just don't know. I honestly felt like I was on a missions trip to Israel or something. They even served the "Israeli Pizza."

Scott works for a Jewish firm and was not taken back by this. He said all the guys take a late lunch, because they don't even roll into work until 9 or 9:30. This is just normal. It still felt weird to me.

So it was quite the experience on Reisterstown Road today. Why was I so shocked? I'm still wondering. What was it? I don't know. But I grabbed a pamphlet on how to create the perfect Bar Mitzvah when I walked out the door, just in case I ever needed it! :)

5 comments:

heather said...

That is funny!

Unknown said...

That is too funny! I expect your next Christmas card to be a Hanukkah card instead and Max and Scott should wear beanies! Ha ha!

Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha ha ha! I think you should buy a beanie for Scott as a gift. :-) What a great story! Thanks for sharing.

Amy said...

Oh, and my brother-in-law, Dave, always tells Scott that he looks Jewish. And, Scott's mom did buy him a "beanie" when she was in Israel a few years back. Well, I always thought he could pass for Jewish as well, but once we were there, I noticed he didn't have the nose and he also has facial hair- which they generally don't have. Who would have thought? (Except that the facial hair thing is in his work's handbook, but they excused him of that! ha ha)

Alison said...

I like the fact that it's named "Reisterstown Road".. Maybe I have anscestors from Maryland. :)