Monday, October 22, 2007

Moon Sand

So Max has been asking me for this stuff called Moon Sand. I didn't know what it was, but finally looked into it at Toys R Us the other day (a quick stop before Chuck E Cheese's). It looked kind of cool. It's like play dough, but it never dries out and doesn't stain, and supposedly molds and everything like play dough does. I figured it was worth a shot. So today, rather than letting the kids play on the computer, I suggested that they try out their new moon sand.

I took it out and let them play on the kitchen table. It was not at all like I had expected. My expectations were way too high. Here, this is crumbly blue stuff (just happens to be the color we bought) that just doesn't seem to stick together to form even a ball. I thought I must have it wrong, so I read the box. There were no instructions. I thought maybe if you add water it would help keep it together. No, the stuff repels water. It actually stays dry when you put it in water. It's weird.

So what we ended up with at the end of the moon sand session was a table (and floor) full of crumbs, just like a cookie. Therefore, I give Moon Sand a half a star out of four, if that. I was not pleased. Next time we're up in Salem, I will try and return the stuff. There's my tip for the day.

4 comments:

heather said...

I got a catalog in the mail and it has "No-Mess, No Fuss Fun Moon Sand Petting Zoo Set [that] lets kids build 3-D sand creations from an amazing sculpting material that looks and feels like sand, but molds like dough and floats in water!...for hours of fun and easy clean-up..." All for only $24.95! I had to laugh after hearing your experience with the stuff.

BTW this catalog also has the Walter the Farting Dog book and stuffed animal set for only $29.95! And, can it get any better, wait, it does, "...our soft and cuddly Walter toy makes "farting" sounds when squeezed!" The perfect Christmas gift for that difficult to buy for person in your life!

Amy said...

I love it, Heather! Walter the Farting Dog books are so hilariously funny to me. I remember reading them to Scott in a book store in Seattle and we were laughing so hard and crying over them. You just have to have some kind of sick humor, I guess, which I do!

Moon sand...yeah right!

Anonymous said...

Hey Amy, next time try Crayola's modeling clay. It's MUCH better than play dough. It doens't feel like sand, but the kids can use it to make all sorts of colorful creations. It's also super easy to clean up. My girls love it!

joanna said...

Amy- Hope Maryland is great! We miss you already - please post all about it soon!!
:)
-joanna